Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Regaling the coffee jockey


Dear Friend at Rise Up Lubbock

I’m just like everyone else when it comes to regaling every coffee jockey who serves me coffee with events and problems that have happened to me. It is almost a shame how (not just me but) people think they are there to not only serve coffee but to be everyone’s buddy. It reminds me of something I was once told… This person said (and writers of Christian literature seem to agree) that a “discerning heart” actually means a “hearing heart.” When I heard the phrase I thought: That’s really a strange statement. That one question opened the door to other questions like; what is a hearing heart? What does it hear? What is it listening to? Well, let me put it this way, a hearing heart is one that sees beneath the surface, one that looks with insight into people’s situations and God’s word.  Solomon wanted to be able to understand with depth. He longed for wisdom. His request was specific; he knew exactly what he was asking God for. He was asking for incite to see the good and evil in men’s hearts. You see, he was actually asking God for the ability to see into things and understand motives, thoughts, plans, ideas – the things that drove and guided men to do what they do. Why did he want it? His desire was completely unselfish… he wanted it so that he could serve others. So he could be a great leader. Being a leader requires so much wisdom, character, and ability. I suppose, in his way Solomon really asked for a “hearing heart.”

No comments:

Post a Comment