Tuesday, April 2, 2019

2oz Whole Milk in Americano




Friends of Rise Up Lubbock,

I was at my favorite coffee shop the other day and as usual I told the young lady about my books and that she would enjoy reading them. After I left the counter I seated myself behind a large freestanding rack filled with novelty cups and packages of ground coffees. I was near enough to hear what the baristas were saying (not that I intentionally meant to over hear them… it just happened.)  Well, the girl who I had been talking to was telling her coworker about my books and that she had just waited on an author. The curious thing was that she didn’t call me by name. I suppose she was trying to put a face to the name, after all they have so many customers throughout a day. Anyway, she called me by my order. The coworker asked was that ‘vanilla latte, half calf?’ The Barista replied no it was ‘2oz whole milk in Americano.’ As usual I started thinking about how that might apply to my spiritual walk.  Yes, it got me to thinking, what if God called us by our prayerful orders instead of by name. I can imagine Saint Peter asking God, “Was that last prayer from ‘ready for battle, full of faith with extra creamy enthusiasm?’” Then God might reply, "No, it was ‘only when need, all gain, low foam patience.’" I believe that what we pray and how often we pray (place an order with God) surely is relative to our relationship with God. I suppose to that Barista I will forever be known as ‘2oz whole milk in Americano’ who writes novels. 

Dan-Dwayne

No comments:

Post a Comment